Dr. Chu's Audio Inventions Have Been Instrumental in Development of Polycom Unified Communications Solutions
PLEASANTON, Calif. - Sep 08, 2011 : Polycom, Inc. (Nasdaq: PLCM), a global leader in unified communications (UC), today honored Dr. Peter Chu as a Polycom Fellow. Dr. Chu is the director of the Polycom Burlington Media Labs, and leads a team that is responsible for designing and developing award-winning technologies for high-definition UC video and voice solutions.
With more than 40 patents issued and pending in categories such as codecs, microphone arrays, noise suppression, voice detection, echo cancellation, UC integration and loudspeaker system design, Dr. Chu has invented a range of industry-defining technologies that are fundamental features in Polycom's superior video and voice products. Dr. Chu's inventions include:
- High-quality acoustic echo cancellation, which was a flagship feature in Polycom's first speakerphone that allowed multiple participants in a teleconference to speak simultaneously without cutting each other out. The acoustic echo cancellation technology is used in all Polycom HD video and voice solutions today, providing a superior meeting and collaboration experience for organizations worldwide.
- Acoustic source location, which allows image capture devices to automatically locate and zoom in on active speakers through voice triangulation. This technology is featured in products such as the Polycom® EagleEye Director.
- Polycom Music Mode™ technology, a feature of Polycom telepresence solutions that accurately reproduces live music picked up by microphones. Developed in collaboration with the Manhattan School of Music, Polycom Music Mode™ technology allows remote listeners to hear the true sound of instruments and voices, enhancing distance learning and the overall listening experience.
- Polycom StereoSurround™ audio technology, which provides the required spatial cues that allow people to separate out different sounds, making overall video conferencing experiences more realistic. This technology is featured in several of Polycom's video products including the Polycom® HDX® series, the Polycom® OTX™ solutions, the Polycom® RealPresence™ Experience (Polycom® RPX®) and Polycom® SoundStructure® installed audio solution.
- Polycom Siren™ lost packet recovery, a software code that protects video calls from audio issues such as freezing or hiccups. This algorithm is featured in products such as the Polycom HDX series.
- Ceiling Microphone Array, an unobtrusive microphone where the electronics are hidden in the ceiling for increased room-use flexibility. The microphone design allows 360-degree voice pickup and features StereoSurround and Siren technology.
"Having world-class engineering talent in audio, video and software has allowed us to continuously innovate and create the best video and voice collaboration experiences for our customers," said Sudhakar Ramakrishna, executive vice president and general manager of UC solutions and chief development officer, Polycom. "With more than 35 years of audio experience, Dr. Peter Chu has been instrumental in the development of some of the most innovative audio and video solutions ever created, and his contributions to the company and the industry have changed and improved the way people and organizations communicate."
"Working alongside the brightest minds in the UC industry to develop technology that meets and exceeds customers' requirements serves as daily inspiration for me," said Dr. Chu. "I'm honored by this recognition and look forward to continuing Polycom's long tradition of applying technical innovation to provide customers in all industries with the very best in sound quality for audio and visual communications."
In addition to 22 years at Polycom and PictureTel (now a division of Polycom), Dr. Chu's audio experience also includes roles at Motorola and Hewlett-Packard. He was also a member of staff at the MIT Lincoln Laboratory and an assistant professor of Electrical Engineering at Boston University. Dr. Chu has earned degrees from University of California at Berkeley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Polycom UC Solutions
Polycom UC solutions create a highly collaborative environment that significantly improves learning and engagement, as well as overall productivity and efficiency. Offerings include HD voice and video solutions for personal, mobile, group, and immersive telepresence experiences. Polycom helps companies of all sizes, in all industries, become high-performance workplaces where people collaborate on-demand between any location, over any network, with their device of choice to enable UC Everywhere™ by Polycom. With a broad ecosystem of strategic partners, Polycom provides the most comprehensive, reliable, and scalable collaboration platform for managing and delivering UC solutions to employees, partners and suppliers – on-premises or from the cloud.